If you are not already using social media, I am sure you have heard of it. If you are using social media, is it just for pleasure or business? Here we will discuss social media for seniors and how it can help with an online marketing business.
WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA
“Social media pertains to websites and applications that enable users to create and share content, ideas, and other forms of expressions or to participate in social networking.”
When we think of social media, we think of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube as the most common means of communicating that we use day to day.
SOCIAL MEDIA STATISTICS FOR BUSINESS
The statistics for those using social media is staggering. Here are some interesting facts showing you how the popular social media apps are being used.
- There are over 2.38 billion monthly active users as of March 31, 2019.
- 42% of marketers feel Facebook is important to their business.
- As of May 2013, 16 million local business pages have been created compared to 8 million in June 2012.
- There are over 326 million monthly active users as of October 2018.
- 85% of small and medium businesses use twitter to provide customer service support.
- 75% of B2B (business to business) market on Twitter.
- 291 million people use Pinterest every month (1st quarter, 2019).
- 90% of users
weekly make purchasing decisions.
- Pinterest’s Analytic Partners show $2 in profit for every $1
- 1 billion users are on Instagram monthly.
- There are over 25 million business profiles on Instagram.
- A whopping 80% of users follow at least one business.
- Users have gone from 467 million in 2016 to 590 million by the end of 2018 (2 professionals join every second).
- 30 million companies have profiles on LinkedIn.
- Percentage of B2B leads generated from LinkedIn is 80%.
Interesting Fact: 21% of LinkedIn users are over the age of 65.
- 1.9 billion visitors log into YouTube every month.
- 50,000 years of product review videos have been watched.
- The number of small and medium-sized businesses advertising on YouTube has doubled over the last two years
Interesting Fact: YouTube viewers over the age of 65 numbered 19.4 million in 2015.
SO WHAT DO THESE FIGURES TELL US?
It should tell us several things:
- Social media is extremely important, especially for small businesses.
- That a growing segment of social media is the 65 and older population.
- That Facebook is leading the pack in social media with YouTube a close second.
- While content is still extremely important, a lot of people are getting their messages across on videos (you can find a video on just about any subject imaginable).
- Small and large businesses are using social media for advertising and marketing.
- Social media is very much alive and doing well.
USING SOCIAL MEDIA SAFELY
Before we talk about how to use social media for business, I just want to briefly touch on using social media safely. After all, we know it is great for business but if this is your first time into social media, it is good to know a few basics:
- Set Privacy Settings – you can control who sees what!
- Be choosy when it comes to adding friends – if you don’t know them or have negative feelings, don’t friend or follow them.
- Watch out for scams – Examples: chain letters or people asking for money, even if they say it is an emergency and you know them (they might not have sent the request – verify with a phone call).
- Passwords – Use a strong one (combination of capitals, numbers and symbols). Use different passwords for different accounts even though you will be tempted to use the same one. It’s also a good idea to password protect any mobile devices if using social media.
- Sharing – Be careful when sharing personal information; never give banking or financial information, phone numbers or vacation details on social media.
- Be careful when opening links that look suspicious (I get these sometimes in private message on Twitter and usually don’t open them unless I know where it is coming from or someone has told me they are sending it). These links can cause or contain viruses or can hack your account.
- Install anti-virus software to protect your computer.
- Logging off when you are finished is a good idea.
Okay, let’s move on.
Why Use Social Media to Leverage A Business
- Brand Awareness – become an authority in your niche
- Define Your audience – know your demographics
- Connect with others in your industry
- Diversify – Don’t Put All Your “Google” Eggs in one Basket
- Leverage from content – re purpose
- Don’t Be A Time Waster – schedule time on social media and stay focused (it is easy to get sidetracked into personal conversations)
- Drive Traffic
- Use Tools to Keep You Organized – Example: Evernote and Canva.
LEARNING TO USE SOCIAL MEDIA
Because many seniors are showing a desire to learn how to use social media, there are many community programs available. Check in your area to see where some of these programs are held. You can even attend online classes such as the one offered at George Brown College in Ontario. I am sure you will find many places in the United States that offer online classes. If you have tech savvy children and grandchildren, ask them to help you learn the basics. You are never too old to learn!
Many seniors either cannot afford to retire or simply don’t want to and are looking for home based businesses. Our seniors today are living longer than ever. Figures in 2016 put life expectancy in Canada at 82.30 and in the U. S. at 78.69 years.
You can use Social Media for any online business, small or large. A little planning and effort can give you faster results and more bang for your buck with social media.
Social media is everywhere and is very powerful. With more than 3.196 billion people (2018) around the world using social media, if you aren’t, isn’t it time?
What are your thoughts on the older generation using Social Media, especially for part-time home businesses? I would love to hear your comments below.